Anyone familiar with the Philly food world knows that pride and community are the currents that make this an amazing place to eat. Yet, COVID-19 has had visceral effects, from shuttered restaurants and a takeout shift to supply chain disruptions, which have people reconsidering the role of a diversified local food system.
With an eye on the future, we reached out to five Philadelphians who play a role in the local food world to take the pulse of the city and get an early read on lessons learned that may carry us forward.
- Marcello Giordano – Owner, Giordano Garden Groceries
- Chutatip “Nok” Suntaranon – Chef-Owner, Kalaya
- Chris DiPiazza – Baker-Owner, Mighty Bread Co.
- Landon Jefferies – Farmer, Root Mass Farm
- Yael Lehmann – Executive Director, The Common Market Mid-Atlantic